My Best Friend

My Best Friend

Monday, March 1, 2010

Defining Social Networks My Top Pick

Social Network Sites: Definition, History, and Scholarship

The social networking site I picked was Friendster. Com. I do remember when this came out and the buzz that was around it. Everywhere I went people were saying, “Are you on Friendster?” Now, this has happened with Myspace and Facebook. Friendster started in 2002 and met its demise in 2003. This was to do with the over load of subscribers. Subscribers soon discovered that the database was unable to support all the users and all the information that was being published. Pretty amazing when we think of how the other sites now are able to handle the amount of information. It shows us the demand for technology and the demand for interpersonal relationships. The target audience was people looking for love based on friends friends. It was a great thought at first, but then users soon realized that you could only reach 4 of your friends friends. Unlike Facebook where you are able to view all your friends friends and add them as your friend. I chose Facebook because it was geared towards people who had a desire to keep in touch with not only friends but family. Yes, I have seen people who have hooked up on Facebook such as the intention of Friendster. Facbook offers much more opportunities to all ages. I will continue to use this site! It has brought me back in touch with so many people I lost contact with!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Amie. I had never heard of Friendster. Something has to be around for a long time on the web before I hear of it. My question is...if you think of eastern philosophies that say to Live in the Moment, then how important is it to connect with every person you have ever met? (Family excluded) I am older than you, and really have no desire to know how 95% of the people I graduated high school with are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Marie, but the 5% you would like to hear about, and from, THAT's really cool. I recently hooked up with a guy from middle/high school that was such a wonderful person - and, wow, he still is. It was great to see him in person, what I call "Facebook Live", and this never never would have happened with the network.

    ReplyDelete
  3. correction to above "this never would have happened withOUT the network".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie, When I joined facebook, my intention was to view my family's sites to keep in touch with the ones who are out of state. I was born into a pretty big family and have been out of the state for 20 years. When I moved back to Prescott I realized that I had missed a lot of time with my nieces and nephews. I find having this facebook account helps with my communication with the kids. They are very active on it and I decided I should approach them with something they understand. It's been a great experience for me. This is me living in the moment!

    ReplyDelete