My Best Friend

My Best Friend

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My Outlook on New Pedagogy

A New Pedagogy-My Outlook
Three questions asked on his blog

What is the purpose of school? What is the purpose of learning? How can we discover our passions through education?

What is the purpose of school?

I come from an educational background. One that would dare to say, if you are not educated, your voice does not count. Having parents who defined their lives on what it was they did for a living, and knowing if I didn't follow suit, I may as well be banned from the family, I rebelled. I wanted to learn through life, not a classroom. All though I have to say I did very well in high school, until this year, 21 years after graduation, I kind of resented school. I wanted to learn life, not books. This brings me back to the blog, and the question asked, WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF SCHOOL?

For me, I now invite the structure of classroom collaboration. I am finding myself reading each classmates blogs with wonderment. It is so educational to me. I have not only learned about each classmate, but I have been taught something from them. When the question was posted on his blog, WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF SCHOOL, I was ignited inside to question my own beliefs outside of any prior programming. I have changed my view on this question from, merely a means to an end with maybe a letter behind your name to, a journey that may never be completed. What a thought and mostly a feeling of freedom!

What is the purpose of learning?

I have gone through periods in my life where I felt as if I had not learned a thing. Maybe, making the same decisions, expecting a different outcome, INSANITY! This question was asked on the blog. I see the importance of asking this question. What is the purpose of learning? To grow, to expand so we may better communicate with the world and ourselves. The ignition of questioning things in order to find better understanding. To dive deep into our own questioning of who and what is important to us as human beings. Ultimately, I believe learning is an opportunity to heal all that we have come to believe defines us. To bloom, everyday, as a different expression of who we are.

How can we discover our passion through education?

I am a new student who is learning what my passion is through education. I was a little conflicted with this blog post, so I decided to ask myself this question. HOW CAN I DISCOVER MY PASSION THROUGH EDUCATION? I have learned that I enjoy reading now, also I have learned that I would make a great teacher, in a classroom setting. I have found that I have patience with learning and a passion to learn. Though this assignment, I have learned that I will change my major to Education, and bring all I have to offer to a room of students. This is part of my passion in life, and I never knew it until now! I have to agree that passion and education are one in the same. The discovery comes from the passion one holds. I am a dreamer that is learning through my passion I will discover all of who I am!

1 comment:

  1. Amie, your post is inspiring. Expanding, truly, is a lifelong project and if we can 'infect' our students with that, we have assuredly succeeded! Now we have technology to help all of us!

    ReplyDelete