My Best Friend

My Best Friend

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

My Teaching Philosophy


I am a student of life and a teacher to all I come in contact with. As a student, I am continuously working toward improving my life, my mind and my spirit.

I wondered how I was to do this assignment, not being a "teacher" with students, in a classroom arena. As I thought about it I realized, I am a teacher to all I come in contact with. I remember talking to friends who shared with me what all they had learned from me. I now understand my responsibilities and the role I play when it comes to my individual relationships. Knowing that the length of the relationship has no greater meaning than the content, I now take time to listen, and be a support. Looking at the relationships I considered to be important in my life, I found the meaning of who I am. Each has inspired me to grow, to ask questions and finally to reflect on the process that brought me to myself. I want to be the best teacher and student I can possibly be.

I remembered a time when I had finished a book about relationship therapy and within a couple of hours I received a call from a family member who was in crisis over something that had happened to her that morning. With the information I received from reading the book I was able to console her and set her on track to better understanding. The exercises I learned in the book such as breathing, releasing, and finally, visualizing a positive outcome helped her release her anger and be in a position to move on to better understanding. In turn, I also experienced a releasing moment knowing I had become not only a better student but a teacher. This for me was such a great experience and an experience that pushed me into higher learning.

As we live, we are confronted with many important decisions that keep us embedded in so many relationships. Knowing this, I decided to start a women s group, once a week, structured around the very premises of "teachers" and "students". One week, half would be the teachers and half students. Each group would talk about their experiences that week, their trials and liberating moments. The teachers would lead the group with questions centered around each topic. It was an amazing experience! We all were able to play each role knowing the impact we were having on one another. Some were not comfortable at first with the role play, but in time I saw the quiet, reserved women turn into confident, wise women, eager to share her experiences.

I am thankful for the knowledge I have gained through this experience of being a teacher. My philosophy has changed from having to be right all the time to learning to listen. I realized through this process that we all are more receptive to a safe, loving environment. Knowing this, I vow to always come from a place of compassion and understanding.

2 comments:

  1. I love this, "..the length of the relationship has no greater meaning than the content." as often the most fleeting contacts leave the deepest impression.

    Your group sounds incredible, is this still going?

    Seeing both teacher and student roles as really one is a refreshing point of view. Glad to have you in the course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Thatcher. My group was in Washington State where I just moved from. I would love to start one here with men and women. It helped me so much as I was going through a divorce. Thanks again for your input!

    ReplyDelete